Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Artwoods - 100 Oxford (1964-66)

Mp3\75Mb

******






Biography
by Bruce Eder
The Artwoods were every bit the rivals of such bands as the Animals and the Spencer Davis Group, but never saw the success as a recording act that either of them enjoyed. Rather, their following was confined to the clubs they played, despite releasing a half-dozen singles and an LP during their four years together. Art Wood, the older brother of Ron Wood, had been involved with the London blues scene almost from the beginning, as an original member of Blues Incorporated, the pioneering blues/R&B outfit founded by Alexis Korner and Cyril Davies. He was the backup rhythm singer in the band's early lineup, before the split between Davies and Korner (and prior to their recording their one and only album); ... Read More...

****

01. Sweet Mary02. If I Ever Get My Hands on You03. Goodbye Sisters04. Oh My Love05. I Take What I Want06. Big City07. She Knows What to Do08. I'm Looking for a Saxophonist Doubling French Horn Wearing Size 37 ...09. Keep Lookin'10. I Keep Forgettin'11. I Feel Good12. One More Heartache13. Down in the Valley14. Be My Lady15. Stop and Think It Over16. Don't Cry No More

***

A fine 16-track package, including most of their mid-'60s singles and seven songs from their 1966 LP Art Gallery. The material varies from traditional blues numbers ("Sweet Mary") to contemporary Memphis and Motown soul covers. The highlights are "Don't Cry No More," an all-out soul stomper, and the haunting, rocking R&B/pop ballad "Oh My Love," which could have well been a hit if enough people had heard it. Comes with a four-page booklet of photos and liner notes written by Art Wood himself.

*****

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...