Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Plastic Penny - Two Sides Of A Penny (1968)

Mp3\57Mb

*********

Plastic Penny were an unremarkable late-'60s British group who made the U.K. Top Ten in early 1968 with "Everything I Am," a labored ballad augmented by strings, that wasn't even one of their best songs. Much of their material was psychedelic pop with hints of encroaching prog-rock, sometimes recalling the Who a bit, elsewhere going into more fey story-songs. Their guitarist, Mick Grabham, would play with Procol Harum for a few years in the 1970s.

***********

1. Everything I Am2. Wake Me Up3. Never My Love4. Genevieve5. No Pleasure Without Pain My Love6. So Much Older Now7. Mrs. Grundy8. Take Me Back9. I Want You10. It's A Good Thing11. Strawberry Fields Forever12. Nobody Knows It13. Happy Just To Be With You

****
"Everything I Am," Plastic Penny's only hit (which never made it in the U.S.), is here, though the rest of the album exhibits a rather lighter touch in its guitar-organ psych-pop blend. There's a bit of whimsical British wit in numbers like "Mrs. Grundy," but there's little on the album to inspire either praise or dislike.
*******
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...