Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Hollies - 60' complete (1964 - 1965) Part 2

Mp3\185Mb
***
FROM JANCY
****
The Hollies - 60' complete part 2 1964 - 1965

unreleased / version
***
01 - Bring Back Your Love to Me
02 - Listen Here to Me
03 - She Said Yeah
04 - Zip A Dee Doo Dah
05 - Little Pretty One
06 - Poison Ivy (long)

45' / Ep
**
07 - Just One Look
08 - Keep Off That Friend Of Mine
09 - Here I Go Again
10 - Baby That's All
11 - We're Through
12 - Come On Back
13 - What Kind Of Love
14 - When I'm Not There

Lp Hollies (1965)
**
Still chronically short on material and so successful with 45s that LPs hardly mattered, the group knocked off seven covers to complement just five orginals - once again, none of their contemporary singles was included ("Yes I Will"; "I'm Alive," their only British #1 hit until a re-issue of "He Ain't Heavy" topped the charts in 1988; "Look Through Any Window," their first Top 40 hit in the U.S.; and George Harrison's "If I Needed Someone," which sold relatively poorly). It's a shame, because by now the "Ransford" songwriting team truly could out-Beatle the Beatles, or at least the Beatles circa late 1964 ("I've Been Wrong," with Nash soaring on the choruses; the energetic "Put Yourself In My Place"; "When I Come Home To You"). Best of all are the down-tempo ballad "So Lonely," with a glowing, reverby 12-string part, and their remarkable, strongly John Lennon-inspired message tune "Too Many People." But the covers are creaky, ranging from childish twist music ("Mickey's Monkey") to sappy Everlys-style balladry ("That's My Desire") to weak roots rock ("Lawdy Miss Clawdy") and rockabilly (Roy Orbison's "Down The Line," about as lame as the Beatles doing Carl Perkins). They can't even best the Stones' take on the annoying gimmick tune "Fortune Teller." Still, their Merseybeat arrangement of "You Must Believe Me" is fun, and the blaringly harmonized gospel-folk tune "Very Last Day" nicely recalls contemporary Simon & Garfunkel. There's no real musical progression here, but it's a major find for Beatlemaniacs.
**

15 - Very Last Day
16 - You Must Believe Me
17 - Put Yourself In My Place
18 - Down The Line
19 - That's My Desire
20 - Too Many People
21 - Lawdy Miss Clawdy
22 - When I Come Home To You
23 - Fortune Teller
24 - So Lonely
25 - I've Been Wrong
26 - Mickey's Monkey

45'

27 - (Ill Be True To You) Yes I Will
28 - Nobody

unreleased / version

29 - I Can't Get Nowhere With You
30 - She Gives Me Everything I Want
31 - You In My Arms
32 - Schoolgirl
33 - Whole World Over
34 - We're Through
******
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...