Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Hollies - 60' complete (1965 - 1966) Part 3

Mp3\183Mb
****
FROM JANCY
The Hollies - 60' complete part 3 1965 - 1966

unreleased / version
01 - So Lonely
02 - A Taste of Honey

45'
03 - I'm Alive
04 - You Know He Did
05 - Look Through Any Window
06 - Honey And Wine
07 - If I Needed Someone

Lp Would You Believe
**
By now the group had fallen far behind the Beatles, stuffing their latest album with shockingly primitive covers. At least there are four good "Ransford" compositions: "Hard, Hard Year," which sounds like one of Lennon's contemporary down-tempo semi-acoustic ballads; the poppy "Oriental Sadness," with Nash singing the fine chorus; Nash's 3/4 acoustic solo spotlight "Fifi The Flea," an important marker in his artistic development; and the exciting "I've Got A Way Of My Own," complete with wailing harmonica and Dylan-meets-the-Fab-Four influences. They also have enough good taste to cover Stax-Volt (the danceable "Take What I Want"). But they stoop to disintering Chuck Berry ("Sweet Little Sixteen") and Buddy Holly ("Take Your Time"), and they put an anachronistic rock 'n' roll stamp on newer material (6/8 "That's How Strong My Love Is," already a hit for the In Crowd in 1965; Hank Ballad's sappy "Don't You Even Care? (What's Gonna Happen To Me)"). The biggest embarassment, though, is a gratuitous, fairly literal take on Simon & Garfunkel's "I Am A Rock" (Lonnie Donegan's old skiffle hit "Stewball" also sounds here like an early-period S & G folk song). The record does have some real saving graces: "I've Got A Way Of My Own" and their brilliantly arranged, 12-string fortified, memorable hit single "I Can't Let Go" (by Taylor and Gorgoni) - it sports one of their most thrilling harmony lines. Still, though, this seems like a joke compared to Rubber Soul or Revolver. Although someone had finally figured out that including a hit single was a good idea, the record omits the contemporary "Bus Stop" (by Graham Gouldman), one of their best recordings ever and their first U.S. single to hit the Top 10.
**

08 - I Take What I Want
09 - Hard Hard Year
10 - That's How Strong My Love Is
11 - Sweet Little Sixteen
12 - Oriental Sadness
13 - I Am A Rock
14 - Take Your Time
15 - Don't You Even Care
16 - Fifi The Flea
17 - Stewball
18 - I've Got A Way Of My Own
19 - I Can't let Go

unreleased / version
20 - Look Through Any Window
21 - Look Through Any Window

45'
22 - Non Prego Per Me
23 - Devi Avere Fiducia In Me
24 - Kill Me Quick
25 - We're Alive
26 - After The Fox

US Lp
27 - A Taste Of Honey

45'
28 - Running Through The Night
29 - Bus Stop
30 - Don't Run And Hide
31 - Like Everytime Before
32 - Stop Stop Stop
*****
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...